Friday 11 January 2019

About Me - Dominique Marando... Jewellery Designer for Just Bead It

About Me - Dominique Marando… Jewellery Designer for Just Bead It


Hi there! On the blog today, I'm sharing the interview questions I answered for the Ruby Rock It blog about being on the design team for Just Bead It, as well as a little bit about my other passions in life. Hope you enjoy!



1.       How would you describe your style? 

I would describe my style as being elegant and minimalist. I appreciate beauty that is understated, yet sophisticated.


2.       How long have you been beading/making  jewellery? 
I have been making jewellery since I was little (maybe eight years old?), and my mum and I would make little plastic beaded bracelets and necklaces together. I remember mum taking funny pictures of me as I put on every single item of jewellery I could fit onto my little arms and held fashion shows in the living room lol!
3.       How did you get into beading? 
Mum introduced all my creative interests to me when I was little. One of our favourite things to do was attend craft fairs and market days where we would wander around buying precious pieces of handmade jewellery to give to friends and family. Eventually, I started making jewellery to sell at craft markets and then later on Etsy. It’s funny to look back on the basic designs I created when I was ten, to now when I’m on the design team for a creative blog! My ten-year-old self would be very pleased 😊
4.       What are the main sources of your inspiration  (when making a particular piece of jewellery)? 
I am often inspired by a lot of things, but probably most prominently is the beads themselves! The pattern, shapes and colours influence how I pair each bead with another, and I feel inspired by the endless possibilities awaiting me when I open a new package of beads!
5.       What types of beads do you like to work with and why?
I mainly love working with glass beads and semi-precious gemstones. I love the versatility of glass beads, which allows me to be really creative with a lot of new and exciting jewellery ideas. I also adore gemstones, though, for their uniqueness, and think they make great statement pieces!
6.       Share a pic of one of your most favourite pieces of work 



7.       Name a crafting tool/product you can’t live without.  
For me, it would have to be my crimping pliers. When I was a beading noob I wasn’t sure how useful they could be, but now that I have them, I can’t possibly name any other essential tool in its place. 
8.       Share a tip or technique that you swear by. 
Stringing multiple beads on at once, by using a sewing needle or other means. This makes it so much faster to finish a design, or to redo one that has either fallen on the floor, or just simply if I’m not happy with it!
9.       What is your favourite piece of jewellery you like to make? (eg necklaces, earrings, bracelets etc…) 
This is hard to choose… maybe choker necklaces because of the stunning way in which they drape so daintily on the neck.
10.   What does it take to be a good beader? 
Perhaps adaptability. I know there are many designs that I have had to tailor in order for them to work. There are many factors to take into account when beading… weight, size of beads, odd shape, comfortability, etc.
11.   What’s the best thing about being part of a design team? 
Access to all the stunning Just Bead It beads! It’s opened up a whole new creative universe for me to explore and challenge myself with new and interesting themes.
12.   What do you like to do in your spare time? (Apart from beading of course?)
I have many hobbies… I love to sketch in my nature journal, bake delicious sweets, watch movies and TV, read, play with my dog, hang out with family, play video games, go for nature walks, go to the beach, etc… I definitely keep busy 😊
13.   What are your five top passions in life? 

-          My Christianity
-          Family
-          Animals and nature
-          Learning (Science/medicine/biology mostly)
-          Books, movies, and television

14.   What two things do you plan to tick off your bucket list in 2019? 
-          Achieve good grades in all my subjects in Year 11
-          Improve my Etsy store with my newfound knowledge of business, to make it more successful

15.   When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up? 
At first, I wanted to be a veterinarian, then my heart was set on being a lepidopterist… and since everyone always asks me what that is, it’s a person who studies butterflies and moths. It was my absolute passion when I was younger, and I loved every minute of those experiences of raising caterpillars to adulthood. Now I want to be a doctor.
16.   What is your favourite quote or saying? 
“There are two great days in a person’s life – the day we are born and the day we discover why.” – William Barclay
17.   Best piece of advice you could give to someone. 
Don’t let anyone change who you are – be uniquely you.
18.   Where is your ideal destination and why?  
Southern France - to an idyllic, classical property surrounded by land and horses and animals. The serenity is extremely compelling.
19.   What motivates you in life? 
I am motivated by my eagerness to become a doctor – every day is an important step forward in that direction (in my schoolwork/studies) and should be acknowledged as such. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
20.   What are the best three words that describe YOU? 
Peaceful, patient and nerdy.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There you have it! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, and all the best for 2019! 

If you would like to check out my Etsy store, you can do so here.

If interested, you can follow me on Twitter @DominiquesWares

or Instagram: dominiques_wares

You can also follow my Dominique'sWares blog




1 comment:

  1. You certainly are using all of your gifts and talents beautifully and courageously Dominique

    ReplyDelete